Thursday 22 December 2011

The ribs are finished!

Now every rib has been riveted in and broken ones replaced. I could do them all by myself with the aid of a concrete block supporting an axe head or heavy hammer supported by blocks of wood when i needed the extra height.With the copper nail pushed through from underneath and then the axe aligned to be resting only on the head of the nail, pressure on the nail and axe can be maintained by leaning on the boat gently as you peen on the rove.


I have also replaced all the ply centrecase supports with solid wood that actually fits the clinkers of the floor. The supports are biscuit jointed with marine ply and epoxy. I did this for 2 reasons, one the join half way up means the the grain of the wood is aligned better, and two it was the only way to make it fit with the size boards I had. :)
And finally I have got rid of all the steel screws and nails from the top side of the boat. I suspect there may be some steel screws to be replaced from the bottom because it looks like the screws holding the centrecase on may be steel...

The next job is the mast step and front of the centrecase, then after that I need to replace some rivets on the lands, between the ribs as some have lost their roves.

No comments:

Post a Comment