Friday 6 January 2012

Work on the underside

I turned the boat over the other day and work has begun on the underside. At first i didn't think there would be so much to do, but it turned out there there is...
I started with cleaning out all the lands. Over the years there has been various attempts to seal the joints between the planks with all kinds of stuff. The worst of it looks like polyester bog. I've also found bits of fibreglass, hemp  and wood putty. It looks like the whole hull was sheathed in fibreglass at one stage. The previous owner has taken it all off and the bits and pieces that remain flake off easily with a chisel.
I'm working epoxy glue (resin and West system glue powder) into all the cracks after cleaning them out as well. It looks like it will hold together much better and I will put a  flexible sealant into the lands where I can.



You can appreciate the shape of the boat much more without all the cracks. :)

1 comment:

  1. Dan, I have just found your blog. Did you ever finish this boat. I have found an X Class that is in need of restoration, and am thinking of taking it on as a winter project,.
    Regards, Mike

    ReplyDelete