Saturday 11 February 2012

1st coat of varnish on

Today I have finally applied the first coat of varnish on the topsides.
I have intentionally kept the odd mark, glued up crack, nail, etc visible as I think it adds to the character and I'm quite proud of owning such an old boat, so I don't want to make it look like a new one. I think the varnished kauri is just so beautiful, I could sit in the garage and watch it until the varnish dries. (who thought watching paint dry could be so interesting)
I plan to put on 3 coats of varnish and I'll have to sand properly between each coat because I did have a few runs in it.... Even though the various battle scars are left for all to see, I want the finished coat of varnish to be as perfect as possible. After all the varnishing is done I will mask off the waterline and paint the bottom gloss white.




4 comments:

  1. Hi, such an awesome job on the X class, I have read the comments on woodenboat forum about it, the photo of the X class on the Waitemata X-15 .... that was my fathers yacht he was a member of the Bucklands beach yacht club I have a number of photos of the yacht unfortunately most are small, good luck with the rest of the boat and I look forward to seeing photos of it in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for the comment. I haven't been able to do much recently because of work, but I think the next stage is to turn her back over and finish the inside. There are a lot more small jobs to do on the inside than the outside. Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm out sailing...

      Delete
  2. beautiful boat. How are you going on her? Have you had her in the water yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks. Not much new. I have undercoated the inside now, I'll put an update on that. I've started on the deck framing, but still slow. Can't wait to get her on the water though.

      Delete